Tuesday 19 February 2019

I, Daniel Blake

1) What is independent cinema and how is it different to Hollywood blockbusters?
Independent cinema has much smaller budgets than Hollywood blockbusters and the directors have more executive control over the movie.

2) What is I, Daniel Blake about?
I, Daniel Blake follows Daniel, a 59-year-old who has worked for the majority of his life but needs state support for the first time following an illness. He meets a single mother called Katie who is having housing trouble and may have to move 300 miles away. Daniel stands up for his dignity and changes the lives of people like him and Katie.

3) Who directed I, Daniel Blake and why is this important?
Ken Loach directed I, Daniel Blake. He is well known for directing political indie films - especially left-wing realism.

4) How was I, Daniel Blake promoted to an audience? List at least three different methods used by the film's marketing campaign.
The film was premiered in Newcastle - where it was set to gain local support, Ken Loach appeared on Question Time, giving the film credibility and Jeremy Corbyn ( the labour leader) went to the London premiere.
5) What unusual or creative marketing methods were used to get audiences talking about the film?
The #WeAreAllDanielBlake campaign involved MPs and members of the public was a more interactive way.

6) What was the estimated production budget for I, Daniel Blake and how much did it make at the box office?
The estimated budget was £2 million and it made £11 million.

7) How can independent films like I, Daniel Blake compete with Hollywood blockbusters like Doctor Strange?
Independent films are viewed in film festivals by different audiences than Hollywood blockbusters.
8) In your opinion, was I, Daniel Blake a success?

In my opinion, I, Daniel Blake was a success because it made £9 million profit and was recognised by members of parliament.
Grade 8/9 extension tasks

Read this marketing case study on I, Daniel Blake. What does 'making a film launch a political movement' mean?

Read this Hollywood Reporter interview with executive Alex Hamilton on film marketing - including the I, Daniel Blake grassroots marketing campaign. Why was it successful?


No comments:

Post a Comment